Established in 1980, Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery was first housed in Lake Macquarie’s former council chambers on Main Road at Speers Point. Since then, the gallery has relocated to First Street, Booragul.
The new site is significant to both the local Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people, most importantly as a campsite and then as a parcel of land granted to Dr James Mitchell in 1842. The gallery originally occupied Awaba House on this site from 1996 to 2000 when a decision was made to construct the new state-of-the-art facility. Designed by Colin Still of Cox Richardson, the new art gallery building was launched in May 2001.
Lake Macquarie City Council confirmed its commitment to culture and education with the addition of an art seminar room in 2008. Designed again by Colin Still, the room features facilities and equipment for a wide range of purposes from art classes, lectures and residencies by visiting artists and academics, to community and corporate events.